MedRec: Behind the Scenes [Part 1]

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Warning: Depressing Content

AMA Angeles Campus Students with low self-esteem regarding their subjects, do not read this post. I won't repeat myself again on this. Read at your own will.

--

What is MedRec?

MedRec the name of our thesis which is an online medical records management web application system. In short, it is a dynamic website on which our key highlight is that it handles health care center things such as the doctors schedule and medical records.

Locale

The thesis was granted with full permission for development by CyberCare, Inc. on which we are very thankful for the doctors and staffs for the cooperation during the interviews, surveys and dry run we conducted. The only problem is that it's located really far on which we need to ride 3 jeepneys just to get ourselves there. It would take us for about 2 hours of travel kept aside the fact that it is only open on Mondays to Fridays from 9:00am to 5:00pm on which we need to skip a lot of classes just to conduct interviews.

Documentation

Honestly, the documentation was first rushed because we spent most of our time in the system development. Our first documentation was covered with red mark and there was only one page of it that was left untouched by Dean Durias' red pen. And so I'm warning all of the students that will be taking their Theses and Software Engineering subjects, she reads them all - as in everything! Kaya mga pare, hindi lulusot yan. Shocking, but true. We managed to cut the red marks by half at our second revisions and hopefully a few pages left for editing on the third revisions. The documentation was the most costly part of everything. We only sent a few hundreds for the system but the documentation left us broke. Some of the reasons why are because of printing fees (cost so damn lot), computer rental and Internet fees, transportation, food and drinks, ring bind, book bind, etc.

The System

The system was made with PHP, HTML, MySQL, a little touch of JavaScript in a rundown Pentium 4 laptop that shuts itself down in midway of our coding. Since we were blessed with a worthless ex-dean, we hardly learned did not learn anything with our 3 years of stay at the campus and I wasn't exaggerating.

System Development

The system was developed at the comfort of my home with unending food rations. (Hah! Gluttony... gluttony...) We joke around a bit while making the system. If not, we'd go mad, I tell yah! Even until now, as you realize while reading, I'm still not in my proper mental state. We spent most of our hours in front of the computers and given only the lunch and dinner time for a short rest. RedBull, Extra Joss, and Pepsi X were our best friends through those cold nights where good night sleeps are not applicable. Under such circumstances, who would dare to sleep anyway?

Time Management

We are always behind schedules, we are always late in every possible aspects, and we always procrastinate. Enough said.

Body Break Down

We are not machines, we have our own limits. There came a time when we caught colds then fever, then flu. At the worst case, we caught them all at once. Randy-kun fell asleep at the jeepney and collapsed more than twice. Khei got sick a lot due to tiredness and lack of sleep. I got 2 bruises on both my knees because I fell off the jeepney twice when I collapsed. Even so, we still continued doing it.

[To be continued...]

15 comments

  1. Can't wait for the next part. Please write more!!!

    Parang fanfiction! :lol:

    ReplyDelete
  2. 0_0 Shiiiit. And I thought I had it worse when I was in college. I really hope you get through it all okay. *hugz*

    ReplyDelete
  3. wait a minute...when I went to school the last time... they said you passed....?

    ReplyDelete
  4. wait a minute...when I went to school the last time... they said you passed....?

    Yeah, we did. ;) I didn't say we failed the entire course, I just said we failed the OD.

    ReplyDelete
  5. tignan mo? ^_^;; whether you believe or not :P
    God made a way :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG YOUR UPDATED!!! /dies I am so happy dances around like a idiot

    Oh geez. I hope everything is alright u__u I am always here for you ^^ xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. big huge hug

    I wish I could do more. Just know that I'm sending you mental waves of joy and happiness. heart

    ReplyDelete
  8. grabe...wawa naman euri... :( hugs ano ba naman yan?! estudyante kayo hindi machine no!

    kakaaliw yung blogging mo! kala ko nagbabasa ako ng newspaper! hehe! anyway, goodluck sa iyo! kaya nyo yan! Go Euri! Go Euri!

    Ok ba yung cheer? hehe, TC! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You just scared me. May thesis kasi kame before maggraduate!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thesis are not like that. We have our thesis but our professor doesn't make it hard for us. She even gives us tips and suggestions to make it easier for us. YOUR PROFESSOR IS KILLING YOU ALL~~~ I find it rather insensitive in your professor's part. Damn it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. siguro dati, I'll be afraid to read your entry. Pero sabi nga Fear VS Faith.. so sa faith ako, I don't have to feel fear then :) dropping by again :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ohhh..Hehe medyo di ako maka-relate dun ah, pero alam kong kaya nyo yan..Hehe leche namang dean yan masyadong mabusisi. sighs Dream, believe, survive LOL. Medyo na-windang lang ako sa thesis na yan haaaaaaay...

    ReplyDelete
  13. You just scared me. May thesis kasi kame before maggraduate!

    Haha! Be scared. Be very scared. :lol:

    tignan mo? ^_^;; whether you believe or not :P
    God made a way :P

    Actually, we made all the neccesary risks and efforts to it and God did not do ANYTHING. Sabi nga ni bro Tony, "Nasa tao ang gawa. Hindi na kailangan ng awa."

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think the saying goes, "nasa tao ang gawa, nasa akin ang nilaga"

    ReplyDelete

Latest on Beyond Eternal

Latest on Pixel TCG

Latest on TPP

Please Donate!

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *